Parks and Recreation Commission
The Parks and Recreation Commission is the recommending body for policy decisions on Garfield Township's parks and recreation system. The policy decisions are based on the 2018-2023 Parks and Recreation plan adopted by the Garfield Township Board of Trustees.
Some specific duties of the Parks and Recreation Commission include:
- Develop and maintain the 5-Year Parks and Recreation Master Plan
- Develop park-specific management plans
- Develop informational pamphlets about the parks system and encourage public involvement and stewardship
- Work in partnership with other stakeholders, including the Grand Traverse Conservation District, Regional Land Conservancy, and County Park Department.
The Parks and Recreation Commission consists of the following seven (7) members:
- Valarie Handy, Chair
- Chris DeGood, Planning Commission Representative / Vice-Chair
- Chris Remy, Secretary
- Denise Schmuckal, Township Board Representative
- James Guilmet
- Bill Scott
- Fern Spence
The Parks and Recreation Commission meets on the 1st Monday of every other month. All meetings are open to the public, and any interested person is welcome to attend and be heard. We'd love to hear your suggestions on how to make our already wonderful park system even better!